Shoichi Amemiya: Tanoshinde!

Back in November I told you about the clothing line SABIT NYC by Shoichi Amemiya, and since then have kept you guys up to date with SABIT's movements & collections. I have had the opportunity to exchange words & interview the man himself, and I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out.
M.L - First thing first, why the name?
S.A - Why the name SABIT?
M.L - Yea
S.A - SABIT means "The Best Part of Music", it can be "The Best Part of Life" or "The Best Part of Fashion".
M.L - With SABIT meaning "The Best Part of Music", what does your line represent, and what is the overall message you want to send?
S.A - I am spreading the word "Tanoshinde", which means enjoy. All of my clothing either has this word embroidered or printed somewhere, because enjoying life is very important so I'm spreading this message with my clothing line SABIT.
M.L - I agree, personally I think a lot of people tend to forget the pleasures of life and think they have to be serious at all times.
S.A - Thanks, feeling "Tanoshinde" is the best part of life.
M.L - You wouldn't mind if I decided to put the word "Tanoshinde" in my everyday vocabulary, would you?
S.A - I am more than happy for that.
M.L - ight cool...I'll make sure to credit you for it.
S.A - We better Tanoshinde...Not Struggle
M.L - Thanks, now I have a full quote to use. When did you first start the line?
S.A - Oct.8th, 2005

M.L - What were your first visions for the line?
S.A - It's always the same as I am introducing Japanese Street styling called AMEKAJI, which stands for American Casual. All my Japanese fans know SABIT is a twisted clothing line to AMEKAJI. AMEKAJI is based on Denim, Work Wear & Military Wear of American made. Today these fashions are being introduced by magazines Free & Easy or Real Mc'Coy. Many people in USA are feeling this kind of mentality for clothing. Do you remember when Selvage Denim came out to US market for the first time?
M.L - Yea, the style and clean edges of Selvage made a great impact at one point.
S.A - That's also part of the AMEKAJI mentality of clothing. Originally it was by Levis in 1950-1969, the 501 & 501xx have red Selvages. After 1970 people didn't care, or even pay attention for that, but Japanese Vintage collectors did. We looked at not only the difference in the look but also the quality. From 1950-1969 Die was by True Indigo(plant), even the weaving was different it had a more rough and crafty feeling. We dealed those pants for $100-$500, but when I came to N.Y 20 years ago I could find the same type for $10 a pair. Can you believe it?
M.L - Quality is often over looked in this market, it's all about what's in style at the current moment.
S.A - Yea but not anymore, because everybody now knows the value, and beauty of it. AMEKAJI is not only Denim, it's deep. AMEKAJI is one of culture & fashion. I would like to introduce this with my own twist.
M.L - So you must have your hands full bringing the image of AMEKAJI with SABIT?
S.A - Yea, It's my Tanoshinde.
M.L - What would you say was your biggest challenge to bring in your own twist of AMEKAJI with SABIT?
S.A - Not much of a challenge, because this is my enjoyment. Am I fully understanding your question?
M.L - Yea you got it right.
S.A - ok.
M.L - Basically, you have fun and try to enjoy your work so it doesn't really stress or cause issues for you?
S.A - No stress for designing clothes at all, 100% pure designing.
M.L - There it goes, Tanoshinde at it's finest right?
S.A - Yes.
M.L - Besides AMEKAJI, where do you get your inspiration?
S.A - Life, street, travelling, clubs, music, meeting people, and meditation.
M.L - So anywhere you are enjoying yourself, you can be inspired?
S.A - Yes.
M.L - If you were to use one word to sum up your personal style, what would it be?
S.A - Tanoshinde!
M.L - Great Answer, I'm learning. It's clear at this moment that it's safe to say your style reflects what's being produced from SABIT.
S.A - Thanks, we are lucky people.


M.L - Speaking of styles, what styles out there other than your own do you look at?
S.A - I like fashion overall, I just love seeing cool styles, but I don't go shopping much. I watch people, I like Designer Junya Watanabe.
M.L - Wasn't that designer under Comme Des Garcons?
S.A - Yea Comme des. I also like Kitamaura of Hysteric Glamour. I'm not sure but he is the same age as I, Kitamura is as well, also Obama too. We are all the same age, we were playing tag together in elementary.J/K
M.L - Lol, atleast you had a major set of people to play tag with, but based on trends you see people wear, are there any styles that you think need to end immediately?
S.A - I see, ummm I think everybody is ok so no need for anything to be ended.
M.L - So we can say you don't find flaws in people's style, since everyone can be considered as having their own styles. What is the current state of SABIT?
S.A - I'm awaiting a sample from Hong Kong for a Magic Show in Vegas on Feb.17th-19th, and I'm thinking on Spring 2010.
M.L - We all know this is a new generation, so what designer or line would you want to be like for the future? As far as success or being able to stand out.
S.A - I just stay as I, and I am very happy as long as I can design my line, but one day I want to hit somewhere in Africa, and somewhere in Brazil, because people don't know Japanese at all.
M.L - I have to say, out of a lot of designers you seem more content with the love of what your doing, and don't base your efforts on others, which is a beautiful thing.
S.A - Thanks, It's nice for me.
M.L - So as long as your happy, and enjoying your work you think you can carry your vision on without problems?
S.A - My problem is inside of me, my happiness is inside of me. I can just pick either one, and I want to pick Tanoshinde.
M.L - I think you have an inspirational way of life, and a lot of people could appreciate it while incorporating it in their live & SABIT should help them do just that.
S.A - Thanks, that's why I am spreading the word Tanoshinde to the world by SABIT.
M.L - Well you told us your working on your Spring 2010 Collection, but is there anything else we should be expecting from you in the future?
S.A - I want to start designing for women, kids, and older men when SABIT grows.
M.L - I've noticed SABIT in a music video awhile ago, and someone told me they spotted one of your jackets being worn on t.v before, during our first blog post of SABIT. What icons have worn your items?
S.A - T.I, T-Pain, Lil' Wayne, Ludacris, Chris Brown, 50cent, Mario, Diddy, T.O.K, Mos Def, and Collie Budz, but many more have in Japan.
M.L - That's a good lineup for this market though, and as people notice your work more I'm sure it will increase dramatically. Where can people purchase pieces from your collections?
S.A - Memes, Atrium, Goliath, Vault, Atmos, Victory Sq., Swagga 360, Pieces Brooklyn, Wealthy Hostage & Pulse.
M.L - Is there anything you would like to tell up & coming designers, and the people viewing À Là Modè?
S.A - Tanoshinde! Tanoshinde your Life!

Check out SABIT NYC's site & also add them on myspace.
- Mr DoT{.} McFly

Author : MartyaLaMode À La Mode is here to showcase all things Wavy.

Article Shoichi Amemiya: Tanoshinde! is published by MartyaLaMode 2 Comment:
 

2 comments: